Strawberry blueberry cake: so sweet, so simple
I love berries, they are full of nutrients and so delicious. Nothing better than a strawberry blueberry cake to get the best out the berries! They give the cake a fresh and creamy touch!
I love to make this cake in the mountains where I can get fresh berries or even pick them by myself.
Furthermore, I would taste this cake together with a fruity white wine as a Moscato from Asti, from a region in the north of Italy called Piedmont.
Here is what you need for your strawberry blueberry cake:
- 100 g of flour 00
- 100 g of potato starch
- 80 g of melted butter
- 200 g of icing sugar
- 6 fresh eggs
- 100 grams of strawberry and bluberry
- 50 grams of sugar (a couple os table spoons)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Fresh Thyme
- Some grated ginger
- The grated rind of one lemon bio (or less if you wish – in alternative you may add vanilla extract)
- A pinch of salt
- Butter and flour
You also need: a mold of 24 cm diameter
- Turn on the oven and set the temperature to at 180 C degrees (350 F degrees)
- Divide the egg yolks from the whites
- Whip the egg whites well with the help of an electric mixer and set aside
- With the same mixer whip the egg yolks with the icing sugar until will be soft and fluffy
- Put together the mixture of egg yolks and sugar with half of the egg whites. Do it with a wood spoon and a gentle top down motion, till you will get a smooth cream
- Sift both the flours and add them gently to the cream
- Add the lemon grated limb or the vanilla extract
- Pour the other half of egg whites and the melted butter very gently warmed
- Put some melted butter on the pan and a light layer of flour (if you use a silicon pan this is not needed)
- Pour the cake cream and place in a hot oven and bake for about 40/45 minutes (at 350 F degrees)
- Turn off the oven and let the cake cool inside. After 30 minutes your cake will be colder, and you may put it a plate and cover with a little sifted icing sugar
- While the cake is cooking, you can prepare the fruit compote: put fruits, sugar, thyme, grated ginger and lemon juice in a non-stick pot
- Let it cook at low heat, stirring occasionally for about 30/40 minutes, at the end you will get your sweet jam!
- Let the composte cool before start stuffing the cake
- Cut the daisy cake it in smaller pieces – I usually cut in quarters: this will make the stuffing much easier!
- The following step consists in cut the cake horizontally , and stuff it with your compost
- Recompose the cake and let it rest for few hours. It will be even better because the compote will drench into the cake
- Enjoy your strawberry blueberry cake and Buon Appetito with Easy Italian Cuisine!