Potato gateau recipe: a pure Naples’ dish
Naples is a busy city in the south of Italy just in front of amazing islands as Amalfi, Ischia, Capri. This Italian potato gateau recipe embraces the most typical ingredients of that region and put them together in a very simple, old-fashioned way.
The potato gateau recipe was (and still is) quite common in the south of Italy because every ingredient can be easily found in that area, keeping the recipe simple and not expensive.
The result is a delicious savory cake, soft as bread and tasty as a carbonara sauce!
Here’s what you need to prepare your potato gateau recipe:
- 9 medium-size potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 8 slices of ham
- 160 gr of mozzarella
- 160 gr of smoked scamorza cheese
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pf bread crumbs
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan
- Wash and boil the potatoes in salted water (1 tablespoon of salt per liter of water) for 40 minutes
- Let them cool, so you can peel them
- Shred the ham, dice the mozzarella (well drained and squeezed) and the smoked scamorza cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180 C degrees (360 F degrees)
- Pass the potatoes with a potato masher or food mill
- Put potatoes, ham, mozzarella and smoked scamorza cheese into a large bowl and add the most part of the grated Parmesan, eggs, salt and nutmeg; mix the ingredients very well with a wooden spoon
- Add the bread crumbs and mix again
- In a baking pan put the baking paper and the mixture. Level it with a spatula
- Sprinkle the surface of the pie with the remaining grated Parmesan, bread crumbs and olive oil
- Bake at 180 C degrees (360 F degrees) for 15 minutes, then increase to 200 C degrees (390 F degrees) for 15 minutes
- Once cooked, take the pie out of the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes, then cut into pieces and serve warm. It’s delicious also the day after!
- Enjoy your potato gateau recipe and Buon Appetito from Easy Italian Cuisine!