Vitello tonnato recipe: the gorgeous Italian Vitel Tone’
The veal with tuna sauce, or Vitello Tonnato recipe, contrary to what many people think, is a very Italian recipe, from the north of Italy traditional cuisine. It’s a dish to be tasted cold so it is very common in the summer.
It is a perfect combination between fish and meat and it is a real must if you want to embrace the traditional Italian cuisine.
I would suggest serving this dish with a red wine from the north of Italy, as an Amarone from Piemonte (a north west region).
Here’s what you need to prepare your Vitello Tonnato recipe:
- 800 grams of veal beef (veal rump or round)
- 3 eggs
- Balsamic vinegar
- 2 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 onion or 1 shallot
- 6 anchovies in oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- half of a liter of white wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves, rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 4 tablespoons capers
- 3 cups (200 grams) tuna in oil drained
- 1 little potato
For best results, the dish should be prepared in two stages: the first day you cook the meat and let it stand in his broth all night, placing it in the fridge; the next day you prepare the sauce.
- Put the meat in a pan with carrot, celery, onion, potato, rosemary, bay leaf, cloves, two tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt
- Add the white wine to the meat to make it acquire a nice flavor and cook for 15 minutes
- Add water a little at a time in order to cover the meat, put the lid on and cook the meat on low heat for about 1 hour and a half
- Meanwhile, boil the eggs until they are hard boiled (it will take 7-10 minutes); drain them and leave them to cool in their shell
- Remove the lid from the meat pot and simmer over low heat for 15 or 20 minutes in order to reduce the broth, making sure that couple of cups remain (we will need them later)
- Turn the heat off and let the meat cool with his water for a few hours, preferably overnight
- Just before serving prepare the tuna sauce. First of all shell and chop the boiled eggs with a fork in a large bowl
- Add the crumbled tuna, capers, anchovies, the potato if you like (I add it to make the tuna sauce more creamy and consistent) and a cup of the broth saved before (you need to filter the broth to avoid that pieces of vegetables or meat fall into the bowl)
- Puree with an immersion blender, add 2 tablespoons of oil little by little and if you need the broth saved before
- Add a teaspoon of vinegar and blend until you have a smooth and creamy sauce
- Cut the meat into thin slices, using a meat slicer if you can
- Place the meat on a serving dish and add the sauce on every layer of meat
- Decorate with a few drops of balsamic vinegar, with capers and with washers of the carrots cooked with the meat
- Enjoy your Vitello Tonnato recipe and Buon appetite from Easy Italian Cuisine!
A final tip: save broth leftover and freeze that. You may reuse it in the future, for example as the base for a delicious Saffron Risotto!