Pasta with Meat and Apple Meatballs Featured recipe: the ultimate comfort food by Matt, Hosted Chef
Today for the I’m very pleased to feature Matt’s preferred Italian dish, Pasta with Meatball
Matt is a fantastic cook, author of the website Inspired Food. Visit it and I can bet you will love it as I do!
Matt loves Italian food because to him “It is always fresh, simple and seasonal. When you let good quality produce do the talking you are bound to have an enjoyable meal every single time”. Well said Matt!
Here his recipe and thinking.
Meatballs and pasta are the ultimate comfort food. They bring warmth and happiness on the darkest, coldest days. As with most Italian food, meatballs are simple and can contain many flavour combinations.
What you’ll need:
For The Balls:
• 500 grams (3 cups) pork or beef mince
• 500 grams (3 cups) veal mince
• 1 large onion, finely diced
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 1 large apple, coarsely grated
• 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
• good pinch salt and pepper
• good handful of parsley and sage, finely chopped
• 1 egg
For the Sauce:
• Olive oil -as needed
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 garlic cloves, diced
• 1/2 cup sweet apple cider
• 400 grams (2 cups) chopped tomatoes (or passata)
• Salt and pepper
3. Once all your meatballs have been made, heat a frying pan over a medium high heat, add some oil and cook on all sides. Once cooked set aside. (they don’t have to be cooked all the way through yet)
4. Return the frying pan to the heat, add some more oil, add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
5. Add the cider and cook until reduced by about half.
6. Add the tomatoes, mix well and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.
7. Get your pasta on (cook according to the packet) and add the meatballs to the sauce.
8. Once your pasta is cooked, drain it and serve it. Top with plenty of Parmesan and enjoy! (you might as well drink the left over cider too 😉
Thanks again to Matt for sharing this fantastic recipe, buon appetito, enjoy it!