Barley salad recipe with tomato and oregano: a vegetarian summer dish
This barley salad recipe aims to keep most of the nutrients from the barley in the dish! Barley is one of the richest types of grain, its health benefits are mainly attributed to the presence of high percentage of fiber and negligible amount of saturated fat. It is also very low in sodium and cholesterol content.
This recipe comes from the south of Italy and it uses the most traditional products from that region: tomatoes, oregano and mozzarella. I usually bring this salad at the beach during the summer to have a fresh and health lunch.
My suggestion is to pair this dish with some fresh freshly squeezed orange juice or even better carrot and orange juice that will help you to get a wonderful tan!
Here is what you need for your barley salad recipe:
- 300 grams (4 cups) of pearl barley
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 180 grams (2 cups once cut in small pieces ) of drained mozzarella
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil,
- Oregano and salt
- Cook the barley in boiling water with salt (1 tablespoon of salt every 2 liters of water). It will take about 20 minutes
- Cut the tomatoes into small cubes and put them in a bowl with the salt
- Dice the mozzarella
- Once the barley is ready, drain it and put it in a large bowl
- Add the oregano and mix well
- Add the water that comes from the tomatoes in the bowl, 4 tablespoons of oil, stir well and let repose for 20 minutes so that the barley becomes cold and marinate
- Add the chopped tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Stir, season with salt and another teaspoon of oil and decorate with some basil.
- Enjoy your barley salad and Buon Appetito from Easy Italian Cuisine!
This is Theresa Marie Andreano-Matlock version, adding chopped basil. Thanks Theresa for sharing!