Vegetarian bolognese with zucchini and ricotta
Vegetarian Bolognese is very good alternative to meat bolognese, it’s a fresh and light dish that preserves the flavors of freshly picked vegetables, perfect for the summer!
This weekend I was particulary lucky because I got some magnificent zucchini, celery and cherry tomatoes from my uncle’s garden, so I decided to put them into my vegetarian Bolognese sauce with a little ricotta cheese on top of pasta.
- 4 / 5 zucchini
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 shallot
- 2 / 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 celery (including the leaves)
- 3 tablespoons of oregano
- grated ginger
- 4 tablespoons of a good olive oil
- 1 glass of dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan
- pasta for 4/6 people (whichever kind you prefer, I love short pasta, farfalle are perfect)
- Dice the zucchini and half of the tomatoes
- Chop well the shallots, garlic and celery, including the leaves
- In a nonstick pan put 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Add the zucchini, tomatoes, shallot and cherry tomatoes cut in half
- Put on low heat, add salt and startcook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally
- In a blender, finely chop the carrot after it has been cut into pieces, add the carrot to the bolognese and stir
- In a blender chop also the rest of the tomatoes, add these to the bolognese and stir
- Add oregano and a little ginger (if you like) and stir
- Season with salt if needed and add the glass of white wine
- Turn up the heat and let the wine evaporate stirring slowly
- Now you can lower the heat, put the lid on the pot and simmer for about 1 hr, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed by the bolognese sauce
- Turn off the heat and add the basil torn by hand (Hint!: using the hands make the basil keeps its scent!)
- Cook the pasta for half the time it takes to get it al dente, then drain it without throwing the cooking water and add it to the zucchini bolognese. Turn on the heat.
- Keep cooking over low heat, if necessary adding one or two ladles of the cooking water (until the pasta is al dente)
- Turn off the heat, add 3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese and 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese, stir well and serve
- Enjoy your vegetarian bolognese and Buon appetito from Easy Italian Cuisine!
- And: if any leftover you can use it for the Pasta Frittata the next day, irresistible, find the recipe here